Forum

NEW CONTEST HOLDERS - QUICK START

LogoTournament Staff
Hi,

Here are some super tips we've wondered up to get you off on the right foot (just in case you haven't read all the other stuff for clients yet).

To start:

PRIVATE - Did you pay to have your contest marked private? If not it will be visible forever. Google and 3rd party sites will cache your contest data and your competitors will know you got your logo here. If you care about that, please consider the contest upgrade. If you are wanting this after you start your contest, you can go to the contest page and click 'Upgrade.'

YOUR BRIEF - Be clear and detailed as possible. Unclear brief = designers very confused = contest crash and burn = unhappy you.

MEAN WHAT YOU SAY: If you say - "We don't want globes," then you rank a design with a globe high, that will make designers go crazy and cause untold chaos in your contest. Update designers quickly on subjects like this that could be considered obvious concepts.

YOUR REFERENCE MATERIAL - Upload any images you own or you feel will be good reference. Please understand - LT rule do not allow designers to use 'open source' material to include in their images. They must make designs by themselves without tracing, using stock material or 'wing-ding / dingbat' type fonts. They may only trace or heavily use imagery owned by themselves or the client. Designs that violate this requirement may be removed at any time.

YOUR SLIDERS - Give it some thought. Designers do pay attention.

If you're thinking...'Wow, I really have no clue what I want but I need to say something', please tell designers 'I would like to see your ideas - I am not sure what I want' instead of putting ideas out there that likely won't mean anything.

1) Designers probably won't start submitting a mass of entires until about the 48 hours left mark of your contest - DO NOT PANIC. Unless your contest is in the lowest bracket, you'll likely get a good number of entries.

ii) If you started a contest for an ILLUSTRATION or CHARACTER and are asking $275, you might want to think seriously about an increase. Depending on the task, LT's skilled illustrators will likely NOT look at your contest unless it is significantly higher (hint: $400+)

2) Give as much feedback as your poor finger(s) will allow. Designers love to know how you feel. Clarity is often difficult when you are trying to run your contest, but please put forth every effort; also please don't be vague or mean or patronizing.

Vague / mean / patronizing feedback examples:

'I love this - do more like it.'

'Please give it more 'pop', or 'zing'. It doesn't feel 'poppy' or 'zingy' enough.

'You are the most awesome designer in the universe! Your logo will win for sure. Can you make it pop more?'

'Your design reminds me of [colorful expression]. Why did you enter?'

'Try 50 new fonts please - I am not sure which one I'll like.' ( Hint: Go here then you can be specific. >> http://www.dafont.com/ )

Good feedback example:

I like how you [explain what you see]. Please try [explain what you want].

3) Most definitely DO NOT ask designers to copy or glean ideas from each other (unless your brief is super clear from the start regarding concepts or design).

4) Please DO NOT ask designers to do anything for free or give you variations of their designs for free - they are not allowed as per site terms. This includes asking for mock ups of business cards etc. It is a basic courtesy we request that respects all of the designers in a given contest. That being said, AFTER the contest feel free to ask the designers almost anything. They'll certainly be happy you're thinking of them.

5) Please do not ask for email information or the like or contact LT designers during the contest (via email or other means). It is a violation of site terms an is considered a 'back door deal'. The private message system is provided for your needs in this regard.

6) Don't ask designers to use Comic Sans, Arial or Papyrus (despite it being used for a prominent high grossing film with skinny blue people) .These fonts generally are deeply offensive to designers of any merit (seriously). It is the surest way to make them leave you in the dust crying.

7) Have a great contest. Email support ( https://logotournament.com/help/contactus ) if your contest needs a little love, or some serious help. If you need an EXTENSION, please contact support using the Help page. Extensions are free an we know you won't abuse them.

8) When you contest finishes, Select a Winner but don't forget to login one last time to click 'Approve' for the final files once you're happy.

Best Regards,

Ivan F
LT Client & Community Support
13 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231