Forum

General question about ranking

Client
Quoted from the "Ranking Tips" offered by LT on the Rank Entries page: "Designers thrive on being ranked, and some take it personally when they are placed in the non-interesting box. We recommend ranking ranking at least 1-20 entries, 30-50 if you can, and avoiding the non-interesting box unless you think that designer has no chance your contest."

Based on the tip offered above, should a CH rank the suggested 1-20 or 30-50 throughout the entire contest, or keep say, 1-20 through most of it, but near the end rank as close to 50 as possible? I've read that the designers like points, but there's two issues for me: keeping 30-50 actively ranked is kind of tough on the eyes; also it makes for a busy looking(maybe even cluttered?) page and an answer to another forum question of mine mentioned that if new designers see a contest that looks cluttered, they may pass on it; and lastly, keeping with the cluttered mindset, I'm thinking my invites on my friend feedback might see so many and not weigh in with an opinion.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
I love it when the CH narrows it down. The less entries remaining the better for us to make out what the CH is looking for...At least that is my preference.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Honestly, all that really matters is the top ten. You can give more ribbons in the end if you'd like, but I believe a ranking system change is coming that will only award the top 10 in a contest.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
I like the contests that have a space on the first page.

will make clean page view and rank, and assured that there are CH who knew what he was looking for.
"Not Interested Area" for me is the zone of evaluation for CH and area to save the revised design.
13 years ago

Client
What I did was keep my first page opened up, and put many logos into Not Interested. At the end, before I picked the winner, I put a bunch of the logos back in for ranking to give my designers more points. All of them, especially Trinova, worked so hard and in my opinion did a great job and deserved as many points as I could give them.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Lindsey said:
Honestly, all that really matters is the top ten. You can give more ribbons in the end if you'd like, but I believe a ranking system change is coming that will only award the top 10 in a contest.

Quoting myself here because overnight, these changes went into effect. No ribbons (or finalist awards) are given to designers beyond the top ten. While designers do appreciate any recognition you can give for their efforts, we would all probably much rather you spend your time providing feedback and ranking during the contest than spending your time giving awards to any more than the top ten at the end.

Thanks for being interested in participating in your contests -- without your participation, we are in the dark!
13 years ago

Client
No problem Lindsey. It seems to me that if someone is not participating, they are just shortchanging themselves. After all, I'd like to get the best logo possible for my money:)

Just want to confirm that I'll only need to rank the top ten, and not more. Not that I wouldn't do the work; certainly if there are points to be had for the designers here then I'd be happy to rank 50 designs. But if no points are awarded beyond the top ten, then I will take advantage of that time saving.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Yes. New rules took affect today. Only the top 10 receive ranking points. Rankings beyond that are relatively meaningless.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
This is very informative:) i really enjoy listening to the opinions and assessment of experienced designers, ch and moderators =) thanks for the input
13 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231