Forum

How do designers choose what contests to work on?

Client
I was sort of curious how you designers choose what contests to work on. I've had some great designs, but only 4 designers have submitted designs (and only 1 out of the 8 that I PMd asking if they would consider submitting a design). I've seen some contests with a lot of different designers. I was just wondering how you decide which ones to work on.

This has been a really interesting experience, and so far I've been really impressed with the designers, there willingness to listen & make adjustments, and the amount of logos from some of the designers. Thank you for having this site to allow us to get so many different ideas & perspectives.

Valesa Linnean
Your Guide to Alaska Real Estate
13 years ago

Logo Designer
I just had a look at your contest and am willing to guess that it has something to do with the prize amount. Your needs seem to lean more toward an illustration as opposed to a logo proper. A prize of $400 or more is strongly recommended to encourage the participation of our illustrators since it is such a labour intensive/time consuming undertaking. Also, you can probably expect a few more participants as your contest draws closer to the end. You can also opt for an extension of a few days. Cheers and good luck with your contest.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Agree with Retro - also - not all of us all illustrators (me for example :) ) - so I leave those contest to the designers that are more trained in that area. You'll get better results from them than from me.
13 years ago

Client
Okay, thanks. I didn't realize at the beginning that I would be more complicated or be more like an illustration. I've had some really great designs submitted, but noticed that other contests that were for a lower amount had more designers. I've also seen a lot of contests with a more complex design for the $250-$350 range, so I figured I was in the ballpark when I started. Looking through the portfolio, there's a pretty good mix of simple & complex, so I wasn't sure where I ranked.

I did extend the contest this morning, as I only had 2 hours to go and wasn't sure which direction I was going to take yet. I did a 2 day extension to give me a bit more time to consider which logo works the best for me.

I appreciate the feedback :-)

Valesa
13 years ago

Logo Designer
when i get personally invited, those contests take priority....i love getting invited to contests...gives me more purpose to design....and thank you Valesa for pressing my participation to your contest.
I also never look at the prize money...or at least i forget to do so...
13 years ago

Logo Designer
I never choose contests based on prize money. I actually choose contests based on what you (the client) is looking for and if it is something I think I can provide you with.

Best of luck in your contest! I hope you find the logo you are looking for.
Sincerely,
Lacey
13 years ago

Client
At this point I'm so confused. I have some really awesome designs from 3 different designers that I'm considering. My family, my clients, and my colleagues all like different ones. This forum is really awesome, but it can be really confusing for someone like me who wasn't sure what I wanted when I started. Vidi, Trinova, and Anna have all been so great at working up personalized logos based on my comments, and I'd be happy to have any of them as a logo!

I feel so bad that I have to choose just one :-(
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Yes, you are right about this forum and community is very great,
and I think everyone is a winner in the contest is the best for you, I really appreciated with all the comments and suggestions you have, that's enough to make us comfortable, not too much CH's give feedback as yours. and has become a responsibility for the designers who participated to make sure that you have to get a logo equal with your expectation.

we are all professionals and would appreciate any person that is selected a winner.

Trinova
13 years ago

Logo Designer
I looked really hard at your contest several different times. I was just blocked trying to come up with something tying together the elements you asked for in the brief.

You ran a good contest. The prize money was fine, although it was a bit more on the illustrative side.
13 years ago

PDG
Client
I'm going to jump in on Valesa's forum question. I'm currently in my second contest using Logo Tournament. Finished my first one 2 weeks ago for myself and had a TON of ideas from multiple people. I liked 3-4 of the designs so much, I also felt bad for #2 - #4. The prize money was $350

I started this 2nd contest 5 days ago for a client of mine. The prize money is for this one was $500. I feel like I've had less designer, not as many ideas.

The reason for jumping in is because I also PM the top 4 designers in my last contest...and just like Valesa...I didn't have a resopnse from any of them. I was very involved with these top 4 and at the end of my first contest even asked them to be watching for my next contest. When I hadn't seen anything by day 3 I PM each of them again.

I thought this was very strange not to even get a RESPONSE?!? If your busy, not interested, or can't think of anything. No worries. Just tell me.

Any thoughts?
13 years ago

Logo Designer
debrishel....i always answer to my invitations, even if they seem "copy and paste"...but i didn't get one from you :(

Valesa wrote: "I feel so bad that I have to choose just one :-( "
remember, all designs are for sale...so why settle for just one?
13 years ago

PDG
Client
VIDI. My first contest was Career Training Hotline. Don't think you were there.
This one was Lighthouse College.
Next one to come in a couple months once a school has their official new name. Will be something like "GDA Training" or "GA Training.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
I like to choose Contest Holders, not contests. When i feel the "connection" with a CH, i bring myself completly to that contest. Sometimes i found him/her quickly, sometimes take more time, but i always find the right CH for me. I dont like very much to try in too many contests wishing to have good luck or based on my skills, i believe in team work, in feedback :)

Usually i enter 7 contests more-less just to find that one Contest Holder.

I really hope you find that special designer that will work with you in your contests!

Sue (melisari)
13 years ago

PDG
Client
HI Sue (melisari). That approach totally makes sense form a designer perspective. To spend the time and effort the contest needs to seem right, the timeframe, whether it's more illustrative or simple approach to logos, etc. I really don't see how designers can try too many contests and come up with all those ideas so quickly. I was a designer by education and burned out in my 30's. Own & run an agency now for last 9 years.
BTW, I LOVE MEXICO!!
13 years ago

Logo Designer
debrishel said:
HI Sue (melisari). That approach totally makes sense form a designer perspective. To spend the time and effort the contest needs to seem right, the timeframe, whether it's more illustrative or simple approach to logos, etc. I really don't see how designers can try too many contests and come up with all those ideas so quickly. I was a designer by education and burned out in my 30's. Own & run an agency now for last 9 years.
BTW, I LOVE MEXICO!!

That's called Multitasking Designer..hehe

but actually I always focused for one contest till end, * only if I've position in #1-3
and try find some "golden key" from feedback in other contests,
to make decision which contest will put in my primary folder,
because in my opinion, every designer is solely responsible for professionally created logo.

BTW..You Rocks CH!
13 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231