Forum

How do you manage your time?

Logo Designer
Just wondering how designers balance their design time vs personal time.

For me, I'm married with a new (and soooooo cute) puppy. I've been working to develop a style and hopefully create a business from it. Now it seems like I'm working 24/7 and overwhelmed that there is still so much to learn. I would love to hear tips on how other designers manage.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Organized i suppose, and giving different importance to each duty and activity everyday, also if you are married team work is important.
13 years ago

LogoTournament Staff
If you are not already - learn intellectual property concerns right away and commit to being an ethical person. Make decisions on what might be perceived as grey areas and determine how you will act. You will save a lot of heartache.

If you don't have kids life will be easier. I found that designing for awhile after kids went to bed or not around were most productive .

If your husband works outside the home make sure you go to sleep together. Trying to get the extra design in because of a good prize is not worth the bad habit that will grow. Make an agreement of something that you will not design at certain times or days - this will avoid conflict and burn out.

Don't make lots of revisions early in a contest - wait a few days and see if rankings change. You will save a lot of time(and stress) by not getting excited prematurely. Never count on potential wins - a contest can change 'on a dime.'

I found the learning curve steep. You will initially be spending a lot of time learning - just like going to college only not formal. Look at design sites and follow high winning designers to see why they win. Try to follow the principles they use and you will find yourself getting better.

Only enter contest you think you have at least a chance of winning.

For a while only enter contests that ask for imagery you will be able to reuse if you don't win.

Don't design outside your comfort zone.

Take frequent breaks to undo the 'zone out' effect that I find can happen.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
OMG Ivan. Great tips!
13 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231