Forum

User Experience Suggestion

Client
This is a great concept and we have received some great entries from all the designers for our campaign. I have a suggestion that may help some of us with ranking / feedback / etc. We currently have around 100 entries and I have seen contests with way more entries than ours. It becomes almost overwhelming going through all the entries as each designer is usually kind enough to enter multiple variations of their design. In fairness to each designer, we try and rank the "concept" from the designer and rank our favorite in the top and each variation ends up lower in the list in some sort of order. Each of those variations may be a small change and we are still interested in them in relation to the concept.

What I am suggesting is that there be a way to rank the designer, rather than the logo. It seems that this would provide a better ranking system and each designer would better understand how their concept is working with the campaign. Under the designer we could then rank their variations and give better feedback that is tailored to their concept.

I am not sure this would work here, but from my perspective I think it would help organize the entries better and provide better feedback to our hard working designers. It would also help with people putting all the variations from one designer in the top. We have tried very hard to keep the concepts that we like near the top and provide as much feedback as possible to the designers.

Thank you to all the designers who are working on our campaign, we appreciate all your efforts.

Shocking Solutions
15 years ago

Logo Designer
very interesting suggestion, it definantly has some flaws but overall i think its a pretty good idea. its nice to see some CH's participating and giving feedback on the website, normally its just us designers =)

thanks!
15 years ago

Client
Thinking through this idea, maybe the designers could enter a "concept" into the competition. That would give them the freedom to enter multiple "concepts" if they desired. Each concept would be ranked in the overall contest and then the revisions of that concept could be ranked underneath it. Again, just looking for ways to better organize the all the great entries we get and be fair to the designers.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Actually that is a very good idea. The main page could be the designers Avatar and the CH then has to click on the Avatar and see the designer's page, plus no other designers could view the designer's page. When the CH ranks the main page he lists the designer in order of preference.

Very good Idea
15 years ago

Client
SpeedLogo, thanks for the tip. I have used that feature throughout the competition and it certainly helps. What would improve this is that when we enter that page we could rank that specific designers entry much like we do on the contest page. That would give the designer both a visual feedback from the CH as well as the posted feedback. This may also help the designers having a visual cue if the posted language is not their 1st language.

As a CH this would help a great deal with ranking, most of us CH's probably do not want to leave entries unranked, but when you have 100+ entries and you receive a variation to an entry late in the competition you have to grab that entry and scroll down quite a while to find a spot amongst all the ranked entries. And let’s be honest once you are down past ranked entry 20 there is probably very little reasoning for positioning.

I know this may affect how points are awarded to you designers, but I think you would receive better interaction with the CH's if some slight changes were made.

Overall great site with great members. Thank you to everyone here for making this a great experience.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Another idea would be the creation of a tabbed interface (or something of the like) on the contest page. One tab for ranked entries, one for not interested/withdrawn, and one for new entries. And another idea would be to allow the CH to create a lightbox of sorts to compare several designs on one page. Don't know how this would be done, but thought I'd throw that out there.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
shocking said:

As a CH this would help a great deal with ranking, most of us CH's probably do not want to leave entries unranked, but when you have 100+ entries and you receive a variation to an entry late in the competition you have to grab that entry and scroll down quite a while to find a spot amongst all the ranked entries. And let’s be honest once you are down past ranked entry 20 there is probably very little reasoning for positioning.

I know this may affect how points are awarded to you designers, but I think you would receive better interaction with the CH's if some slight changes were made.

anything from 11th onwards only gains one point, doesnt matter if its 11th or 90th.
check the "attention CH's" thread to see how the points allocation works.

bugy.
15 years ago

Client
Bugy,

I am sorry if that was taken the wrong way. I didn't mean to come off as not important with the points system, I just meant that from a CH's point of view you are probably not going to win the competition if you are ranked 20+. A CH is probably not going to give as much attention to the the rankings of logo's 21-100+ as we do 1-20. I have read the threads on the discussion board and understand how the designers get their points that is why I am trying to rank everyone in our competition to ensure they get the points they deserve.
15 years ago

Client
There is almost no instruction given to the CH. We have never done this before, so the lack of instruction about how it works for the designers is needed. I have ranked designs, but moved the designs that I am not interested in straight to the "not interested" pile. If they are ranked last, they are not going to win the contest. But since points are awarded to the designers, maybe the Not Interested bin should be eliminated so that all designs are ranked.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
First of all the idea for ranking concepts rather than variations is GREAT!

And I think "not interested" is very good thing 'cause that way the designer get's the message very clear - "NO". And it helps to keep more clean look in the contest layout.
Also I think that ranking above 10th is not necessary. In the end if you want to have more points and rank you have to be good enough to reach one of the top 10 ..... otherwise everybody would receive credit for just entering the contest with whatever stuff they have in hand.
Let's keep the level high - it's good for both CHs and Designers. There are some absurd contests these days which has rank above 100 ... I imagine answering the question:
"Hey how was the contest" - "Great I'm 163rd!"

Regards
15 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231