Forum

General questions from a Contest Holder...

Let me start out by saying that I'm extremely happy with LogoTournament and the experience I've had. I've shown it to a variety of people who were amazed by the idea and results of this. It is a super way to get some excellent design help.

After some 9 days into our contest, we have 178 designs. I think that it really helped that we got onto the site five or more times every day to give feedback and answer questions. As of right now, we've generated 176 comments within the designer-specific pages and 6 general comments. I know that there has been something written in response to every design submitted. Additionally, a variety of designers have sent private messages and even emails to create side channel discussions that don't become public. I'm unsure whether that is a good thing or not but we've responded to every private message.

With about 5 days left in the contest, I have to say that I would be very happy to select one of the top 6 designs currently ranked. We'd like to get a "top 10" selected between the two principals of our company and then show those designs to a group of people who will tell us what they really think about them. We'll still make the decision but we want to make sure that we're not missing something about the logo that might convey something different to someone else. It's sort of like the mistake that Chevrolet made when they named one of their designs "Nova" (which means "doesn't go" in Spanish). We'd like to avoid anything like that.

There are a lot of things that should be told to Contest Holders to give them some additional information. I'm a little confused by some of the recent responses and could use some help about what we should do next.

First, from the time we started ranking designs, EVERY design changed to the 2 colors used in the ranked designs. That has been pretty frustrating. We can't seem to get other colors into the mix. We have no color requirements or expectations. I've made repeated requests about this but no one responds.

Second, designers have now starting to assume that we've selected our design. The number of new ideas has fallen away to almost nothing. In fact, the one public comment not made by me referenced comments I made with another designer. I think it was in incredibly poor taste to then ask, "so is the contest over?" The fact is that the ranking system requires me to pick designs in order. And frankly, the one I picked as number one is my personal favorite. But geez, it isn't over yet. How can I get that message out? Yes, one design has been ranked as first for a few days. Why is everyone just giving up?

Third, we have many more needs for design help outside of our logo. We see the logo as a general brand that should follow through with other design elements of our soon-to-be-re-built site. My question is, is it appropriate to go around LogoTournament when the contest is over to arrange additional design work directly with the designer? I want to make sure we're following all of the rules.

Again, I've really enjoyed the experience of this. I would definitely do it again. I'm just hoping I can receive some advice to help us in the last handful of days.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Welcome to LT. You'll find that most people chase the #1 design. That's just the way things are here. It can be frustrating, but every once in a while someone will submit something completely different and the contest will go in a new direction. It has a way of working itself out.

Regarding the submissions, there are generally 2 types of designers here. The first enter contests early, the second enter late. I can guarantee that you'll have an influx of designs in the last 24 hours. It almost always happens.

Hope that helps!
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Hi - it's no problem at all to contact designers directly after the contest has closed for any further design work you'd like to initiate :)

Cheers

J
15 years ago

Logo Designer
i wouldn't say you've given the impression that the contest is over... quite the opposite, actually... offbeatdesign hit the nail on the head, you'll probably see another flood come in as the contest ends. i can say, though, that the designers greatly appreciate the feedback, so keep that up! good luck with your contest.
15 years ago

Great feedback.

OK, maybe there are early entries and late entries. It's this time in the middle that just seems to be empty! I can buy that - and it does make sense.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
also keeping in mind that the designer with the #1 ranking can submit variations (be it colour or something else) during the judging phase.

and yea asking a designer to do follow up work after the contest is great, for designers this website is all about promotion. =)
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Jeff,

I'm sorry if I offended you, but my comment was definitely not in "incredibly poor taste."

It was well within designer conduct to ask you if the contest was already over before the actual end date of the contest. Other contests have ended prematurely when the Contest Holder gets a design they love and don't need the extra time.

And every designer wants to know if it is worth submitting new designs when just 1 designer keeps getting most of the feedback, especially when it appears to show that you may have already chosen a design.

I ask any other designer to go read your comments on this page ( https://logotournament.com/contests/activecaptain/by/cemerydesign ) and tell me that doesn't beg the question "Is this contest already over?", which is the only reason I asked.

You didn't need to get upset about it, especially when we had been messaging (and private messaging) back and forth just fine up until that point.

Also:
I told you about designers picking the same colors the first day into the contest, I believe I sent you a Private Message about color usage, so I don't know what you're talking about with that. I'll have to go back into my PMs and re-read them. If I didn't say this to you (I know I said this to some Contest Holder this week) then I apologize.

If you want to see some specific colors and you're not seeing what you want to see, just ask for it. Designers work well with specific feedback as opposed to trying to read your mind.

I gave you 3 designs, and 1 "abstract" design, which is what you specifically asked for, and that's all the time I have to give to your contest. (Which I explained to you in a PM in case anyone else is wondering).

Your comment "A real competitor doesn't stop the race with 2 laps to go. They run to the end..." was kind of unnecessarily a stab at me which I did not like.

And it's really sad that no sooner had I sent you a PM trying to clear things up, and you "Not Interested" all of my designs.

You're getting a lot of neat logo designs for $300. You still have almost 3.5 days left in your contest, and I would expect a flood of logos to come in the last few days. Don't stress about it.

And if a designer asks a question, don't take it so personally. We're all here to SERVE YOU, but we're also not into wasting our time which is basically where the "Is this contest already over?" comment came from.

-- Matthew
15 years ago

Hold on a second, Matthew aka GoNorth...

When you ask me a private question or respond to feedback under your section of my contest, you're welcome to ask anything you'd like. But when you make the only designer-created public comment asking if the contest is over and publishing a URL to show comments I made to another designer, yes, that's in poor taste. You weren't asking any type of question - you were trying to make a statement because your designs weren't appealing to us and you wanted others to stop trying.

You wrote me multiple times about how this whole LT is just fun and games for you. Trust me, this isn't fun and games to any CH. We take it very seriously. You have no right to try and disrupt it just because you got your feelings hurt. If you're that sensitive, you probably shouldn't be in any type of contest like this.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
But, Jeff, I'm not sensitive about it.

All I did was ask if the contest was over. I didn't complain one way or the other if it was or if it wasn't. Designers have a need to know this, I just wrote what other people were thinking.

There are no comments from me in PMs or on the main page of your contest or on my own submissions page of the contest complaining about **anything**.

You wrote the long diatribe in the Forums about not getting any more submissions.

I am NOT the one complaining here.

The only thing I said to you in my PM -- which I will reprint here if any other designer or MOD wants to see it -- is that yes LT is fun for me and not a full time job and unfortunately I don't have any more time to do any more designs for you........... and somehow you took that personally and immediately unchecked all of my entries.

Saying that I wanted others to stop trying is just putting words into my mouth, and you know it. Especially since I have sent you at least THREE PMs this week with the exact words saying I wish you well and I know you will get some great designs, and I quote:

GoNorth said:

1. "I have no doubt that you will come away with a quality logo.... there are lots of great designers on here.... so good luck, and thanks for considering me!"

GoNorth said:

2. Good luck with your contest, and sorry that I didn't have more time to give you more designs. I got a logo out of it that I quite like (and added to my portfolio), so it's all good from my end and I still think your Contest will do just fine and you'll get one you love.

I am doing perfectly fine here, except for an apparent communication breakdown with you.

All I did was ask if your contest was over. Think about that for a second. That's all I asked. And now you've turned it into this.

Other designers have made very similar comments in other contests, without the Contest Holder losing their cool.

Here is a good example!

A great designer Tahia entered in a contest for Cary's Of Maui (which I also entered).
https://logotournament.com/contests/cary_s_of_maui/by/tahiadesign

She put in 1 design, and then wasn't getting any feedback on the first day, so she left this message for the Contest Holder:

Tahia said:

Since it seems you are only interested in current #1 Designer by providing feedback only to him I´ll withdraw all my entries.

Good Luck!.

Nat

And did the Contest Holder lose his cool and post about it in the Forums?

NOPE.

He actually responded to her question and look she got some feedback and now she has a terrific design on that contest and I really hope she wins it.

That's one way you could have handled my question.

Imagine if Cary (the Contest Holder) responded to her in the same way that you just went OVERBOARD with me. (God, that was a perfect pun). Cary wouldn't have that great design.

There is no rule I am breaking for publishing the URL to the comments you were making to another designer. That is what they are they for, for EVERYONE to see. That is why anyone can click on them. It's not private discussion. I am sorry if you did not understand this, but all comments (except in PMs) are there for everyone to see. It helps designers know what the Contest Holder wants if we can read eachother's comments.

I think you are just confused by this process, and for your $300 somehow you think we are at your beck and call to create tonnes of designs for you, and I'm sorry that's just not the way it works. The designers have no obligation to you, until the contest is over and you pick one design and money changes hands.

There, I am putting words into your mouth now.

You really didn't need to write a long diatribe in the Forums, I think that was a bit much.

You'll get your great designs, just stop complaining about it and wait for it to happen and give each designer good feedback and tell them what you want instead of expecting them to read your mind and you will do just fine.

I'm not the sensitive one. I've run my own design business for the last 5 years, and I've been working in design for 20 years (since 1989) and all of my clients love me. Otherwise in this economy I wouldn't have a job, would I?

You have to remember also that you are not the only Contest Holder on here, and that designers have the choice of MANY contests to enter which most will do instead of wasting time with just one contest. It's playing the numbers game.

I am still confused about your comment "[my] designs weren't appealing to you" when I have comments from you on my submissions page stating the EXACT opposite of that, that in fact you said you did like my designs.

See:
https://logotournament.com/contests/activecaptain/by/gonorth

And again I quote:
ActiveCaptain said:

"I like it - rated it near the top. The green wave and sail looks nicer to me."

Well if you didn't actually like them and were just being nice to me, that's fine.

I think you just have a problem dealing with creative people sometimes. My opinion of course.

It's cool, it happens, not everyone will always get along, but I don't want you to have any hard feelings about this or especially about Logo Tournament.

I am sorry though... for your $300 you don't get to get personal about it and then expect me to not say anything in return. I am not disrupting anything. You are still getting new designs, be patient. At least 3 brand new designs have come in SINCE I posted my "Is this contest over?" comment so again I am not disrupting anything.

This all could have been hashed out in a Private Message to me, instead of turning it into this.

Thanks again for considering me when we could communicate. I've got another logo out of this contest that I like to add to my portfolio, and (again as I have said to you at least three times in private messages) I am happy with that.

Good luck to you Jeff. Seriously.

Can this be the end of it, and if we have anything else to say to eachother can we not discuss this in PMs? Can the MODs please nuke this thread?

Forget about what has been said here, take a deep breath, and just let the designers of Logo Tournament work their magic. It'll happen, no worries.

-- Matthew
15 years ago

Geez, I couldn't read all of that. For someone who doesn't have time for LT, you sure blow a lot of it trying to defend yourself.

You protest so much because your behavior was childish.

I'm done responding to you about it.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Jeff: It's Easter Weekend.
HINT: Many people don't work very hard on Good Friday i.e. they have more Free Time.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Yeah, always no feedback. I believe many CH rank the designers, not the designs.
Feedback makes CH meet their requirement plus stimulating designers to do better.
Hei... everybody needs to make their first step ! (esp. newbie). Fair contest, be reasonable, please! :/
15 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231