Forum

Caution with credit card payments

Client
Hi

Wow! Didn't I get caught out big time. A warning to others here that I just attempted to create a new contest but in attempting to pay by Visa I was presented with a declined message, so I tried again, with the same result. I know funds are available on the card so I checked my online statement and logotournament has taken the payment from my card twice but not activated the contest.

The payment gateway here has bugs. Use it with caution.

I'm awaiting a response/refund.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Do not worry, i am sure that it is an error that will be fixed on asap. We had hundreds of contests opened up here and never heard such a complain from any client.

As for the response, you should get a fast one too and if they charged you twice, they will sure refund the extra one time back to your account and open up your contest with the other.

Use the contact us form in the help section above or send them email directly at : support@logotournament.com

Thanks
14 years ago

LogoTournament Staff
Gateway declines are part of the business and are less than 1% of all our transactions. For your information there are various reasons for such declines and your cc will be better able to help you.

The most common reasons a card Issuer may decline a transaction are:
the cardnumber is invalid (too few or too many digits, or a correct number of digits in an invalid combination)
the cardholder was unable to correctly enter their password for Verified By Visa.
the card has been withdrawn from circulation (cancelled, or reported lost/stolen)
the credit card expiry date is incorrect.
for a Recurring Transaction the credit card may be expired. (for cardholder initiated purchases, they are prompted on-line if they enter a past expiry date).
the cardholder has exceeded or is very close to their credit limit
the cardholder was attempting to process an INTERAC Online transaction and was not able to log into their online banking successfully, or opted out of the sale or has insufficient funds to complete the sale
the card is blocked for "electronic commerce" (internet) transactions
the card is blocked by MCC or Merchant Category Code (ie: a corporate card for travel may be set up only for purchases through airlines, hotels, restaurants etc and may therefore not accept transactions from your particular Category of business.

Support is always ready to receive emails of concern on such matters.
14 years ago

Client
Ivan, sorry, but your response here has nothing to do with my post. I stated that the message from your site is that the credit card was declined when in fact your site drew funds from my card...twice.

I'm well aware of the circumstances in which credit cards can get declined. I've programmed payment gateways myself so also am well aware of how they are generally set up. Either the gateway you use, or your site, has a bug. I'm betting the latter.

I felt it was appropriate to post this publically as people should be aware that just because your site says a card was declined doesn't mean that their account hasn't been debited and they should check before attemtping payment again.

Oh, and yes, the contest appears to have been activated so your site did accept a payment...whether it was the first or second I don't know..

Thanks
14 years ago

LogoTournament Staff
This was likely due to PayPal issues. Yesterday we experienced major timeout issues with PayPal transactions. We have not had this type of complaint for some time. That said, caution is always the best bet when you are shelling out large amounts of cash.

We appreciate your patience.
14 years ago

Client
Thanks Ivan. However yesterday you advised the issue would be resolved by "tomorrow" and as yet I've had no further response. Today I got around to clicking the launch contest link but it simply takes me to your payment form again, so your site has failed to recognise either payment and has not activated the contest.

I'm presently out of pocket AU$630!!

I've been very happy with the one other contest I've run here but this issue has scared me off the site to be honest.

Edit: Please note it's been 48 hours since my original post with no resolution.
14 years ago

Client
OK, so this is rapidly heading towards 4 days with me out of pocket and no resolution. Indeed, no response at all from logotournament for 3 days now. I've taken the matter up with my bank and will leave it to them to reverse the transactions and take the necessary action against logotournament.com.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
I hope LT will find the best and fastest solution for you.
:(
14 years ago

Logo Designer
payment issues always require a bit patience
I perfectly understand how you feel but my personal experience has shown that such problems take at least a week to solve
Its rather unbelievable that LT has any interest in scarying off its clients
so I am pretty sure that they will solve the problem as soon as possible
14 years ago

LogoTournament Staff
First, I personally apologize for not getting a complete handle on this issue until now, I know this has been a pain so we are definitely very sorry for it.

So far I see the following responses sent out by Ivan
May 27th, 6:49pm
May 27th, 7:42pm
May 31st, 9:31am

The last email stated:

-----

It is clear now by your comment regarding trying to launch your contest that your payments did not in fact go through. I did a basic check of our PayPal received records and there is no record of a transaction. Therefor the initial gateway decline obviously prevented payment although your cc online statement may have shown it. We have experienced this on 1 or 2 occasions in the past year to my recollection. The cc statement of the customer is adjusted to neutral by the company within a few business days.

Therefore in this situation there is no money to refund and your cc inquiry will likely turn up a neutral statement. If you find the opposite on inquiring, please send us the evidence we'll need and we will be happy to correct the issue. Again, I'm sorry for this delay...if the cc situation resolves itself, I think this contest may not be able to go through unless you are able to use the PayPal express option. We have no control over gateway declines.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Ivan Fedorowich
------

I'm doing a thorough investigation on this right now, but it appears Paypal had some technical issues for a matter of minutes, and we never received any funds for the new contest that Zenith was trying to launch. If there was a record of the transactions, we would simply refund them ASAP. We've had 130 contests launch successfully since this issue, so it definitely appears to be an isolated case.

We had no issue with Zenith's first contest which he appears to be happy with. I'm following up with Zenith directly to see if this has resolved itself, if not I will involve our Paypal account manager.
14 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231