Forum

Use of Marks

Client
I have a contest running for a logo to be used for a statewide contest in Texas for State Farm. I have a designer on staff but wanted to get something out of the box so I started a contest Tuesday. So far I only have one entry and questions regarding use of marks. I have several large brands that I work for and I don't want to run into this situation again. Can someone tell me what I can do to assure designers that I have full permission for use of marks - in this case for State Farm? Is it better to run a private contest? Any input is appreciated!
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Hi 4koz. I think you've done what you needed to do. You confirmed that you have permission for the State Farm logo to be included with LT designs.

You wouldn't believe what some contest holders try to get away with here. They may have absolutely no affiliation with -- or may be in direct competition with -- an existing brand, but they want their logo to include the existing brand's logo somehow. It's madness!

Anyway, I think you'll see more entries start to come in. Advertising here certainly won't hurt. Since it took a few days to confirm the use of the State Farm logo, you might also consider extending your contest if need be.

Good luck!
14 years ago

Logo Designer
will be entering your contest.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
A few State Farm agents are promotional clients of mine and I know their corporate office is very picky about the use of their logo. I would not feel comfortable using their mark unless I saw a written approval from their corporate office. And I am sure their corporate communications organization would want to have a final approval of any design using their logo.
14 years ago

LogoTournament Staff
It might be wise to consult their corporate logo usage brief before going too far. Many major companies have strict limitations on the usage of their mark in derivative works.
14 years ago

Client
In reference to use of the logo and guidelines, please refer to http://www.statefarm.com/about/media/presskt.asp. My contact at State Farm is responsible for approving agent advertising in his zone and will be approving this logo. As I mentioned, I have a signed contract. If you don't feel comfortable designing for this contest that is fine, but I assure you I am representing State Farm in a marketing capacity. Thank you for your input.
14 years ago

Client
Seems we have worked through this issue and have received enough logos to work with. I did extend the contest - thank you Lindsey for your input.
14 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231