Forum

Page Design Tournament?

Client
Hi guys,

I am wondering if I can post a design project for a whole web page design (actually WITHOUT a logo), or is this just for logos? Now it would be a damn shame if I can't! And I think that's the case :\

Thanks,
14 years ago

Logo Designer
No you can't open a contest for just a web design page, as this is just a logo's site. But, you can skim through designers portfolio's to check their online websites that includes their website works and contact them if you are interested in it.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Is your website Joomla based or .. ?
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Hi Kres7787, the only way to get an answer to your question is to contact the site administrators, which you can do here: https://logotournament.com/help/contactus.

But as a web designer, I will tell you that I think running a contest for web design is not a good way to have your website designed. It's very high risk for designers because it's so involved, and this site in particular may have a few great web designers on board, but I personally would never design a website on spec. I would miss out on all the important dialog that needs to happen between a designer and a client to work together on a great design. Also, the logotournament.com brief is not set up to gather even the most basic information necessary for designers to begin work. Logos are much more suited to this style of work because they are static, typically simple, fairly limited in scope, and a good brief with some rounds of good feedback can get you a fantastic result.

Websites are far more complex. Web designers should consider: whether or not your site uses content management, and if not, what platform will best suit your long-term plans; where will the site be hosted and what technologies are available; who is your audience and what goals do you want to accomplish; if there's any ecommerce involved, the designer needs to be well-versed in design directed at getting you sales; if you want advertising on your site, the designer needs to be well-versed in nabbing you some click throughs; how will you maintain the site long term; what is the content to be used and how should it be integrated with the design (e.g., will you have any interactive applications, multimedia, RSS feeds, etc.); do you want to use any social media to advertise your site; how can you optimize your site for search engines. Also, who is developing the site and what format do they need the final files in? Does the designer simply provide a design in a layered image file like PSD or PNG, or are they expected to actually write the style sheet? Does the website need to meet any specific guidlines, like 508 accessibility guidelines? All of these concerns are on the designer.

Websites should be designed with content, audience, technology, and user experience in mind, and that all starts with an open dialogue between you and the designer. It's not just about making something pretty. It's about making something useful, usable, and easy for your customers to get what they need. My advice is if you don't want to invest the money in working with a designer -- and there are a lot of freelancers out there who have amazing portfolios and are looking for work -- then you should just buy a template or use a site building tool or a theme site.

That's really just my personal opinion on the matter. Web designers/developers are finicky people who take a lot of pride in the custom nature of our work, so the idea that you wouldn't be wasting your money on such a contest is a little bit wishful thinking to me.
14 years ago

Client
I've used guru.com for webrelated projects.
14 years ago

LogoTournament Staff
I don't think the the contest model is ideal for websites. It's too much time, and much more complex that a logo. I honestly haven't been too impressed with what I have seen. I would recommend hiring an experienced web designer.
14 years ago

Client
I thought I'll get email notifications for your replies. Sorry for not responding sooner.

I guess you're right, but it could just be one page design of the web site, even half of the screen. Just to get the design going in some direction. Though perhaps that's not ideal solution, but that would suit me for instance, and I would pay for it.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Hello Kres, i understand that the more the marrier and perhaps your experience with yoru logo a nd LT was a great one, but with web design and page layout I believe what you need is more of a dedicated strategy...

If you feel stuck in finding a designer for your web project, and are looking for some direction.
I'd be glad to help to get you that direction. Meaning find you a suitable complimentary web design team to satisfy what you may need.
14 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231