Forum

24,623 topics  217,456 posts  3,533,442 views

Question About Copyright

Lindsey
United States
Can anyone clarify this for me? In the Help section on Copyright Issues, there are the following bullet points:

# Designers own all rights to their contest entries on this site, and can withdraw them at anytime unless they have won and contest and been paid for it.
# Copyright ownership is only transferred to the Contest Holder when the contest has been paid for.

I've noticed a few forum posts about designers withdrawing non-winning entries so they can reuse the designs, which is definitely a good thing to be able to do -- I mean, if we did the work, we should be able to reuse it if it hasn't been selected as a winner. But my question is, why would a designer need to withdraw? I mean, even if a designer wins second place, that design still belongs to the designer -- they haven't been paid, and the company didn't choose their design. So why withdraw? I can understand not wanting non-winning entries out there as a preference, but legally speaking, there's no reason you can't reuse a concept or a vector you created even if you got second place, right?
11 years ago
Iris
Australia
I think they withdraw them so the idea isn't copied by another designer in another competition, which would make the vector taken. I don't think they'd do it for legal reasons coz technically it is their work if it didn't come first. Just a thought. :o)
11 years ago