Forum

Suggestions for LOGOTOURNAMENT.com

Logo Designer
If you would like a few suggestions, I would gladly give them, if not, so be it.

1. I honestly think that censoring the forums with a bunch of people, simply because they have a high ranking is immoral and illegal. Most of them are of a different mindset and not all understand what “Freedom of Speech” and the right for Creative expression mean – I think it undermines the concept of this entire site.

2. When I make a comment – hey check out # so and so, I do it not only to the CH, but to fellow designers, I would like their critique, their input, design shouldn’t be a war. There are a few idiots out there of course that make it hard for the rest of us, that is why I assume these rules came into play, but there should be an outlet for critique and input – simply censoring comments is counterproductive.

3. There needs to be some sort of an outlet for cooperation rather then competition on LogoTournament.com also. If a designer is dropping F bombs and acting like an idiot simply to suppress the other designer and make him look bad in front of CH is one thing, complete opposite is when he is giving critique in a professional manner and his/her input – there needs to be an outlet for that. I think the way the rules are set up right now they bring out the worst in us as designers and not the best. Too much animosity over this and that. Let’s face it the era of great designers is over, it’s all about kids that learned Adobe and are clicking away and regurgitating NIKE swooshes.

4. Here is a serious idea – you should really consider about putting a “job board” in the website, I think that would be of tremendous help to struggling designers everywhere. (Also a great way to make extra $ in job board posts). I know I would be the first one to hire people off this site.

5. Back in the days (when I was 22) I was involved with Sessions.edu – a Parsons Project – first online school of graphic design. I had developed their graphic design 2 course. Why not have some of the high ranking designers offer design courses and tutorials online. People can sign up for them – another source of revenue. A whole lot of designers would love to get a nice “Teacher” badge. I think that would be a great outlet for critique and generate a whole lot of traffic to the website.

GUYS, Input?

Sam
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Hi designbot...
I really wish that a high rank was directly correlated to a mod status, I was over 100 when I started(my LT rank;) not age)

all moderators were nominated in by designers, there is a thread somewhere......some yes, have high ranks, but all are here as mods because of imput throughout the LT community.(on forums)

All the imput is greatly appreciated, as this is new to the mod team. No one, no mod, has implied censorship, but all levels of professionalism need to be respected.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
What about # 4 and # 5 suggestion, how do you feel about those?
15 years ago

Logo Designer
4. Tyler will have to answer, I'd say no, in my experience(I am a mod through other sites), doesn't work through contest site

5.I like...an idea I've seen inaction.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Why do the comments need to be public? Why not just PM the designer with your suggestions or compliments?
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Why not get an input from other designers? Why is that such a crime?
15 years ago

Logo Designer
How do you equate me asking you a question with accusing you of a crime? :-)

I just see no need to make the comments public. In some of the ones I've seen it's a rather transparent attempt to sway a contest holder toward a design or dissuade them from choosing a design - at least it seemed that way.

If someone is honestly concerned about helping and providing constructive criticism, then there is no need for it to be public.

Just my opinion. Just asking you based on what you wrote in the initial post.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
ok all good points. Anyone else?
15 years ago

Logo Designer
2. When I make a comment – hey check out # so and so, I do it not only to the CH, but to fellow designers, I would like their critique, their input, design shouldn’t be a war. There are a few idiots out there of course that make it hard for the rest of us, that is why I assume these rules came into play, but there should be an outlet for critique and input – simply censoring comments is counterproductive.

this has already been addressed by tyler.....use PM, the contest thread is for general comments between Ch and designers.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
If this was a free designer site yes..where CH get free logo then yes boost each other deisng..but this is commercial site...who client base is CH's not designers..we are volunteers here by joining..and participating...though we are an integral part LT we must keep in mind that this is business not a game site.

Ask your self this question...as a freelance designer with your own client base would you want other freelance making bas comments about your work just to lure potential clients aways..I think not ...which is why it is important to keep the contest main page clean..

.if you need to comment message the other designer Privately..I have in the past PM'd designer to compliment them on the work they do and they appreciated the fact I took the time to say hello and admire their work

I agree with teaching and i have already started post on having a tutorial section..plus I have posted several mini tutorials and am working on a 3rd..mind you these tutorials re for Corel. In addition to this I have been asked advice and have given it freely to several designer who PM'd me about design. Plus this new mini tutorial I will need to post on my sight because we cannot upload images to the forum section.

You are off base with open critique of designs because there is money involved...but your 100% on the the right track about teaching.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I'd love a platform (forum or otherwise) for design specific discussions & comments, but I definitely agree on keeping those out of contest threads....
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Scott I see your point, I should talk to Tyler about this. I actually have the technology for this, we are using it for John Hopkins for CME (Continuing Medical Education). It is a flash player meshup program that blends Flash Video and PowerPoint or JPG slides and you can content manage and upload your own "e-lessons".

Take a look at it, see if this is a good format for you.

www.designdrive.com go into interactive and the first 3 examples just hit launch player. There are tutorials, presentation, quiz functions.

Scott, let me know what you think.

Sam
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Look promising...to me it really needs to be user friendly because I do not do flash and to learn flash will take eons..something I am not going to do.because I do not do webs.

thanks for the Link
15 years ago

Logo Designer
lol @ Scott, well, i do webs and flash all the time, but i can reverse and do logos and print designing too. I can teach u the basics really fast and simple if u want.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Hi Sam
I think I see your heart but what you are suggesting No 2. I dont agree with you at all, there are nearly 3000 designers on LT some ranging from the brilliant to the downright terrible. An average contest brings in up to 200 logos and yes there is only one winner, of which every designer would like to be it.
Logos are subjective and are what the client likes, it is up to you to fathom that out, it is not fair when someone crits and pics another persons logo apart, all be it as in your case constructive criticism, are you aware that you could be influencing the CH away from their logo, and it could be conceived that you are trying to push them verbally into your logos. I see that you are a person with incredible self confidence, and this is a good thing but a little humility in LT will get you even further. I think the keep your mouth shut rule about other peoples logos has been put in place not only to protect the designer regardless of there ability, but also to protect the platform of LogoTournament, this way we keep it clean honest and friendly. I just want to get on with logos win tournaments grow my rankings and network and encourage other designers. I am sure I am in the majority, The contest is challenging enough without having to get into dog fights.

As regard point 1 the moderators are brand new so give them a chance I think the site is better off with them, yes they have made mistakes, I have had work removed because they said it was clipart and it wasnt and I have had a logo removed because they said I had entered the same logo twice and it wasnt I had made a subtle change at the Ch’s request, but it got sorted out and the sun is still going to rise tomorrow. There is know way that tyler has the number of hours in the day to poilice every single competition and the sooner the designers learn to stop breaking the designer code of conduct the better for the site, copying ha s already improved drastically in the last week and it was killing the LT. So yes they are not perfect but give them a chance.

I would still like to see posted somewhere what is the duty of a mod and exactly what powers they have and when and where they can execute those powers.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
i am a fan of the educational aspect of this thread. i know, as a corel user, i always appreciate when scott (the artist formerly known as orion) posts great help tips. i like the idea of an educational forum where designers can post software-specific tips, tricks and questions. especially those relevant to LT work.

regarding the job forum, given current state of the economy in this neck of the woods, any lead is a good lead, but i can see where tyler wouldn't want to be involved in that.

while i'm throwing in a couple cents, i would have to say i like keeping the contest general comment area clean. i agree that comments can sway opinions on various designs and with the money involved, it's important to make sure the CH is making their own decision. i prefer to even send compliments via PM for that reason.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Along comes a voice of reason, welcome Genesis.

I think we should create an educational forum in which designers can upload jpgs, tutorial videos and possibly graphic files that other people can download. I have a few tricks up my sleeve I would like to share with the populous. I believe that the technology is on this site for this.

Tyler, thoughts?

Sam
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Thumbs up for the educational forum!
After all where is the point in spending our lifespan in learning if you don't teach the people who know less?
15 years ago

Logo Designer
i agree with the educational forum. education should be pass on freely. for those who can't afford to go to art school, why not helping each other to be a better designer. i also agree with the job post. it would a great way to help other designer find jobs.

cheers,
cynthia
15 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231