Forum

Pros and Cons of not ranking your favourite design #1 before competition end

Client
I have noticed that at the end of a competition there are a flurry of new design inputs taking the current #1 ranked design and tweeking it as a new design. The top designers that have worked so hard for the CH during a competition can often therefore get pipped at the post.

I was wondering about the Pros and Cons of NOT rating the favourite design as #1 during the competition until judging starts.

Any views on this ? Would this benefit the designer or only dishearten them that they are not #1 ?

I think it would be great if during the competition one was able to rate the top FIVE designs in no particular order as equally ranked for potential #1.

What do you think !?
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Hi clickspice -- I'm glad you posted this question for everyone to see. Here's my take on it:

If you don't rank during the contest, you will discourage many designers from entering. If we see a contest with 10 or 20 entries and no rankings, a lot of us will stay away. The reason we do is because we've seen many contests go all the way to judging without ranks, and in the end, the contest holder (CH), may end up ranking only 1-3 designs (we think that's lazy and ungrateful!). With the final ranking, you have the opportunity to award blue ribbons to the designers who submitted to your contest as a sort of consolation prize, and we value those ribbons because they add to our overall rank on the site. Therefore, I would recommend AGAINST NOT RANKING during the contest because it could severely limit your options.

On the other hand, copying designs and concepts is a very big problem in some contests. It's important the CH knows that this practice isn't allowed. And designers have a dispute resolution system called Logo Court that allows us to protect our designs. Some designers here will wait until the very last moment and upload copied designs -- and in the end, they can dupe the unsuspecting contest holder -- which, as you said, is not fair to the designers who have worked hard for the duration. I think, though that CH understanding of this issue is enough to keep a copycat from stealing a contest away with unoriginal work.

Finally, another reason why it's important to rank is to give the designers direction and to challenge them to do better. But feedback is even more important than that. Giving individual feedback to designers will ensure a successful contest -- good logo design is a conversation (between designer and client as well as between business and customer base). Of course, if the same design sits at number one for awhile, then you will definitely start to see copies rolling in. For that reason, I highly recommend ranking and reranking multiple times a day (or at least once per day), shuffling around your top 5 or ten designs in the top 5 or 10 positions. No one will know exactly which is your favorite! And this can keep the competition alive, healthy, and hopefully innovative.

Cheers!
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Lindsey said:
Hi clickspice -- I'm glad you posted this question for everyone to see. Here's my take on it:

If you don't rank during the contest, you will discourage many designers from entering. If we see a contest with 10 or 20 entries and no rankings, a lot of us will stay away. The reason we do is because we've seen many contests go all the way to judging without ranks, and in the end, the contest holder (CH), may end up ranking only 1-3 designs (we think that's lazy and ungrateful!). With the final ranking, you have the opportunity to award blue ribbons to the designers who submitted to your contest as a sort of consolation prize, and we value those ribbons because they add to our overall rank on the site. Therefore, I would recommend AGAINST NOT RANKING during the contest because it could severely limit your options.

On the other hand, copying designs and concepts is a very big problem in some contests. It's important the CH knows that this practice isn't allowed. And designers have a dispute resolution system called Logo Court that allows us to protect our designs. Some designers here will wait until the very last moment and upload copied designs -- and in the end, they can dupe the unsuspecting contest holder -- which, as you said, is not fair to the designers who have worked hard for the duration. I think, though that CH understanding of this issue is enough to keep a copycat from stealing a contest away with unoriginal work.

Finally, another reason why it's important to rank is to give the designers direction and to challenge them to do better. But feedback is even more important than that. Giving individual feedback to designers will ensure a successful contest -- good logo design is a conversation (between designer and client as well as between business and customer base). Of course, if the same design sits at number one for awhile, then you will definitely start to see copies rolling in. For that reason, I highly recommend ranking and reranking multiple times a day (or at least once per day), shuffling around your top 5 or ten designs in the top 5 or 10 positions. No one will know exactly which is your favorite! And this can keep the competition alive, healthy, and hopefully innovative.

Cheers!

i totally agree
14 years ago

Logo Designer
The perfect answer Lindsey. 100% agree.
14 years ago

Client
@lindsey

My comment was NOT about NOT rating at all, but was about NOT rating the favourite design as #1 during the competition until judging starts. - in other words rating it #2 or # 3 or #4.

@LG Design seems to highly recommend ranking and reranking multiple times a day (or at least once per day), shuffling around your top 5 or ten designs in the top 5 or 10 positions. No one will know exactly which is your favorite! And this can keep the competition alive, healthy, and hopefully innovative.

This was more my point, so would you agree with @LG design's recommendation here?
The alternative would be as I suggested to have the #1 - #5 rated equally in competition mode. This might provide some additional challenges ?
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Actually clickspice, that was my suggestion -- shuffling the designs around. LG just agreed with me, as did Fatkid. I don't think you'll see any technical changes to the rating system based on this suggestion. But it's really easy to rank and rerank your top five. I do recommend that highly, as it will keep everyone guessing and promote healthy and ethical competition.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
99designs has a decent system like what you're talking about. They use a 1-5 star ranking system so your top favorite design can get 5 and your next fav can get 4 and so on in that order
14 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231