Forum

Test for designers. Contest Holder welcome to share your opinions.

Logo Designer
I think LT should really do something about having a "test of knowledge & code of conduct for designer" or a sample submitted before letting in more "well experienced designer", "marketing & advertising company" enters?

So far I seen many that new comers enters LT. From the profile I see "well experienced, marketing, advertising"...etc. and I see many problems with their design. (Not pointing finger at anyone)

Things I saw and I don't like:

1. Kerning!!! - How can “well experienced” designers miss that??? (Not a onetime thing!)

2. Font - Using hard to read fonts or distort it too much makes it hard to read.
I can't even read the name of the company. Not to mention some fonts look like they downloaded from the net and are "free for personal use only"...

To check what font is being used, but could take awhile for reply:
http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

3. Opacity and Gradient BG - I don't know how well opacity will show up in some printing...COLOR Gradient background? I really think is distracting and Is it part of the logo???

4. Use of clip art and photos - WAY TOO MANY graphic on the net and is hard to tell if they are copyrighted materials. (Saw a familiar look on an artwork from the logo but I just couldn't think of where I have seen it before.) With the "auto trace" on illustrator makes it even harder to tell if they really draw it themselves? Or tracing it from a picture they googled it.

5. Overuse of artwork: Some of the logo with great graphic, but is it necessary on a logo for some business? Way too many elements are distracting.

#3 and 5 are just my opinion...but 1, 2 and 4 are important.

Feel free to tell me what you think and sorry if I offended anyone.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
some great points made:)

Logotournament is great because all levels of designers are here, from students to professionals.
I, personally look at everyday as new learning for me......always getting better, learning something new.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
i think I forgot to add = Abstract logos.
Looked at some unique logo with abstract shapes I couldn't understand what some designer want to express.
Explaining and giving your shape/artwork a meaning often helps your client understand what you want to express and it helps you sell your logo too.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I agree with some of your points other are more of personal taste, I can't recall if I ever had a problem with gradients.. However if you are dong 1 or 2 colour process yeah it will not look so good but full colour of course quality will depend on stock used. What I provide to clients is a full set of usable logo

1. Full Colour
2. B&W (yes if it has several elements the Black and White needs to balance out)
3. Grey Scale. (I actual change the colour grads to grey scale rather than exporting to grey scale (time consuming but worth the effort)
4. Duo tone or tr- tone upon request

Abstract once again is subjective..you are correct some designers just do a fancy design..but has not relevance tot he company, product or service...

you idea about testing has b en covered in an earlier thread I think we all agree on that ...I hate tests arrrg lol
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Perhaps I should explain it more clear about the gradient thing I saw.
I know some designers use B&W radical gradient bg as a way of presenting their logo.
but
That entry I saw was a "linear gradient COLOR background"
I don't know it was part of the logo or just a background
and the designer submitted without explaining was it part of the logo or just a way of presenting his logo.

Some people just don't read the code of conduct nor the Submission rules. =(
otherwise i won't see the entry with variations today.
and seeing so many people using photos and clip arts.
So a test is necessary. to make sure they know the rules well.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
agreed, the background needs to be white, if it isn't a part of the logo.

(please report to any mod/admin the ones you see, especially clip art:(.......)
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Completely agree w/ Love me. All the basics from my college graphic design classes. Making a nice duotone was one of my first projects in GD1... memories...

as far as the backgrounds... sometimes a color is necessary if the logo is going on a certain color BG.that the CH requests. I've been guilty of trying the faded BG... tried it, not necessary, stopped.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Ah ah Kerning is huge... unless you like a gappy A W combo.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I think I was right about a certain designer using cliparts. He suddenly withdraw those entries.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Nevermind. it was removed by mod.
15 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231