Forum

Coat of Arms Logo --- Can I be too specific?

Hey I'm an LT Neo, and excited to start my competition soon.

My company, Greek Royaltees, is a luxury apparel lifestyle brand for college Greek fraternities and sororities. The overall look and brand for the company directly reflects our target market, which is very luxurious, elitist and royal.

I'm looking for designers to create a detailed coat of arms with very specific elements that are symbolic to the brand.

However, I'm concerned that my vision of the coat of arms may be too specific, and limit the creativity of the designers, and also limit the variation possibilities.

What do you advise I do in this situation? Should I encourage designers to rigidly stick by the guidelines, or should I be lax and offer creative freedom to see what new ideas they can bring to the table?

Please advise!!

-Zan
14 years ago

Logo Designer
i would suggest explaining in detail what you after for the coat of arms then finish by saying "i'm also very open to other ideas!"

also, if your after some heavy detail work i would suggest offering a prize of at least $400, a $250 contest asking for super detail work (therefore, lots of time) wont get many entries =)
14 years ago

Logo Designer
I would suggest listing which specific elements you are hoping to see in the coat, while keeping it general enough to allow for multiple visual interpretations. For example, you could just say, "I want to see a fox in the crest". Keep it as general as possible, while still specific enough to get the overall look you are hoping for.

Also, as mentioned, it is good to say "very open to other ideas..." You can quickly say "not interested" for other ideas that do not appeal. But you may also get some new brilliant ideas you did not initially think of.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Just beware of the clipart bandits. If you ask for a lot of detail some lazy folks will try to sneak clipart or even copyrighted material by you...MAKE SURE IT IS ORIGINAL....and like bugy said, make the price worth it. I dont do illustrations so its no concern of mine, but you will get better work and more options should you pay the piper so to speak. I would send an entry request to fatkid, wingedwolf, tahia etc...they are great illustrators.
14 years ago

bugy said:
i would suggest explaining in detail what you after for the coat of arms then finish by saying "i'm also very open to other ideas!"

also, if your after some heavy detail work i would suggest offering a prize of at least $400, a $250 contest asking for super detail work (therefore, lots of time) wont get many entries =)

Thank you for your feedback. I was looking to start the competition at around $450 as I know that requesting such a detailed Coat of Arms is a little more time consuming than putting together a simple text only logo.

That let's me know that I'm on the right track.
14 years ago

jgoodew said:
I would suggest listing which specific elements you are hoping to see in the coat, while keeping it general enough to allow for multiple visual interpretations. For example, you could just say, "I want to see a fox in the crest". Keep it as general as possible, while still specific enough to get the overall look you are hoping for.

Also, as mentioned, it is good to say "very open to other ideas..." You can quickly say "not interested" for other ideas that do not appeal. But you may also get some new brilliant ideas you did not initially think of.

Thank you! I will try to state what elements I'd like, however I will allow for creative freedom to maximize the variety!
14 years ago

TillyDes!gn said:
Just beware of the clipart bandits. If you ask for a lot of detail some lazy folks will try to sneak clipart or even copyrighted material by you...MAKE SURE IT IS ORIGINAL....and like bugy said, make the price worth it. I dont do illustrations so its no concern of mine, but you will get better work and more options should you pay the piper so to speak. I would send an entry request to fatkid, wingedwolf, tahia etc...they are great illustrators.

Thank you for the feedback and the referrals! I used stock imagery from istockphoto.com as reference points for the aesthetic I was going for. However, you're right, it's best to get original artwork done.

Thanks again!
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Much appreciated Tilly - thanks for the nice compliment.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
CH when will you start this contest I already started working on it thanks PM me and let me know thanks
14 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231