Forum

Designer assistance in contest

Client
Wow, read some of the designer input on another contest and was blown away; so many factors I had really not considered. I think we all try to go with what we like and there are more things to consider. I would very much like to see any input from the designers on my contest; this is very important to me as it is a new startup business and I really want to draw attention to my product, scream it's use and be able to use my logo in many different facets.

Blast away; I'm all ears!
15 years ago

Logo Designer
are there any concerns you came across that interest you in particular? colors? fonts? etc...
15 years ago

Client
Usability, does it really say something. Are the fonts and colors right. Will it easily convert to B&W or another medium. Those were some of the things I saw discussed on another forum.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Hi powersnake! Gosh we just love it when contest holders ask for our (expert) advice!

Looking at your entries so far, there are definitely a lot of heavy effects going on there. It's absolutely important for your logo to look good in black and white, so one thing you could do is ask designers who come up with something that you generally like -- but that is maybe quite flashy -- is to ask them to upload another version in black and white only. Or update the brief to ask designers to submit both black and white AND color versions.

As for fonts and colors, I think it's really up to you to decide if those are right for you. Of course, you want your logo to be instantly readable, and in logo design, color can be key. Colors convey emotions (red is aggressive, blue can have energy or be calming depending on the hue, etc.). You could look up the psychology of color on the web to learn more about the emotions that colors can elicit and then decide if you think you've chosen the right ones for your company.

I hope this helps!
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I agree. With your product you'll need a logo that can perform well in print. Effects are ok if the designer can also supply a "stripped back" version in flat colors. Maybe the shiny version gets used for web and magazine ads, and the flat colour for product labels.

If you have a printer lined up it wouldn't hurt to discuss your requirements with them. They can assist in what type of printing you'll need for labels and what limitations this may or may not place on the design.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
The secret to a successful logo is simplicity.
The vast majority of successful companies have simple logos, a couple of elements, nothing busy or cluttered.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I viewed your contest and wow. Most of those will look great on the web but not as a print. As Illumina states simplicity is the best design for print. I was in a contest that if the CH liked my design he had asked me to convert it to grayscale to see what it would look like if faxed. This was at a different site so you will have to check with a Mod or Admin to see if that is not against the rules. I would recommend this procedure if you are worried about printing in B&W, such as over a fax machine.

I'll be happy to come design for your contest if you are unhappy with what you got. Just let me know.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
If I were you I'd ask designers to submit a flat one color version first. For any you like, you can ask the designer to upload a full colour version.
15 years ago

Client
Great help everyone; you've really helped to address some of my concerns. Thank you all for the valuable input.
15 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231