Forum

Just a question.

Logo Designer
Hi all,

I'm newbie here, and i can't find information about it:

- I saw some designs with background gradations.
- I saw some designs uploaded that fills all area, a kind of zoom.

It's allowed?
Thanks in advance.
7 years ago

Logo Designer
Submission Requirements:

Basic rule: If you did not make it from your brain or a reference you own - DO NOT post the design.
DESIGNS and CONCEPTS must be significantly different from designs already submitted.
VECTOR ONLY - No Photoshop; use Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw etc. (Final artwork submitted in EPS with fonts converted to outlines)
NO CLIPART - this includes images, silhouettes and other imagery from sites like SHUTTERSTOCK and images packaged in ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR, COREL DRAW etc. (even if you have purchased a user license)
NO 'FONTS' (DINGBATS) that have complex images of animals, things, or swirl accent shapes, silhouettes etc.
NO HAND TRACING OR AUTO-TRACING OF INTERNET CONTENT OR PHOTOGRAPHY Exceptions: 1) You own FULL copyrights to the image and have not used it before and agree to not use it again 2) The Client owns FULL copyrights to the image.
IMAGE DIMENSIONS - 350x280 px or (width/height ratio of 1.25:1) in JPG, PNG, or GIF format.
ONE CONCEPT PER SUBMISSION - Example: if you want to show a logo in red, blue, and yellow, create and upload 3 separate files.
NO WATERMARKS - your design firm or other.
IMAGE CENTERED - horizontally and vertically with sufficient spacing all around.
NO BORDERS - we are building a clean and consistent community portfolio.
BACKGROUNDS - White, Black, or Solid is best. Elaborate backgrounds (ie grunge, painted etc.) are allowed but not recommended. Do not show designs on buildings, vehicles etc. Moderators may remove designs that look unprofessional.
Submit ONE design per site. If you are selling or submitting your unsold logo on another site, you must remove it on that site if you plan to submit to a LogoTournament.com contest.
Submitting very similar designs to multiple contests on LogoTournament.com is not allowed.
7 years ago

Logo Designer
..bg gradients are ok, design what fill the screens are just ugly and we try to avoid if possible :)
7 years ago

Logo Designer
Thanks, Corvin and raymer.

I just saw one with arrows pointing parts and explanations:D
7 years ago

Logo Designer
It can also help to look at our portfolio page. There should be only the correct entries:
https://logotournament.com/portfolio
7 years ago

Logo Designer
Thanks sculptor;)
7 years ago

Logo Designer
regarding the size for example 90% of your entries are too close to the borders, at least right and left side, you should leave just a little bit of more room, however the design is zoomed when clicked so there is no need to go big

about the gradient background , i would go with a strict rule like :

gradient_background = Violation_points x Entries
7 years ago

Logo Designer
Mimmo said:

As far as I know gradient backgrounds were always legal on LT so why would you like to punish their use?
7 years ago

Logo Designer
Well said, sculptor. Rules are rules, and should be the same for all.
7 years ago

Logo Designer
sculptor said:
Mimmo said:

As far as I know gradient backgrounds were always legal on LT so why would you like to punish their use?

because i am free to think my own way!

i wrote "I would", not we should or Admins should, or Sculptor should

i remember that they where banned by the way, if you search the forum for gradient background you can read all the conversations we had about this but i'll quote one of the best reasons you can get from an old post from the creator of the site wich said that

"I think we will all agree that if done right the gradient background can enhance a design."

that should be enough for me today on this topic, i wish it was not permitted to be used, because it sucks.
7 years ago

Logo Designer
If this is not about the rules but about your personal taste - you are free to express it in your designs and in this forum as well.

I just wanted to make it clear as our new designer comes from website where gradients are strictly forbidden (which sucks big time as all purist do - in my opinion).
7 years ago

Logo Designer
it's not a matter of purity!
7 years ago

Logo Designer
Mimmo said:
sculptor said:
Mimmo said:

because i am free to think my own way!

i wrote "I would", not we should or Admins should, or Sculptor should

i remember that they where banned by the way, if you search the forum for gradient background you can read all the conversations we had about this but i'll quote one of the best reasons you can get from an old post from the creator of the site wich said that

"I think we will all agree that the if done right the gradient background can enhance a design."

that should be enough for me today on this topic, i wish it was not permitted to be used, because it sucks.

Gradient backgrounds are useful if you want to highlight some white on a design for instance. There are certainly functional uses when done properly.

And, no...they have NEVER been against the rules.
7 years ago

Logo Designer
allright let me explain myself better!

this websites is called LOGO TOURNAMENT
is not called LOGO WITH AWESOME BACKGROUND TOURNAMENT

gradient backgrounds can't be considered part of a logo , so can't be considered part of the competition, they just make anything look better and i used them before almost in any contest.

the problem with gradient background arose when the site background changed and all of a sudden all of the gradient background logos started to blend with the color of the page

giving the webpage an ugly look, so i am pretty sure that at least the gradients that blends with the page are not allowed , same as a background that blends with the page

besides that the best answer to this question would be :
if you need 350px X 280px to design a logo , you are not designing a logo then
if you need a gradient background to make your logo look better, you are not designing a logo then
7 years ago

Logo Designer
Ok...again, it is always allowed. But here is an example of why I have occasionally used one:
https://logotournament.com/contests/robertson-law

I wanted to highlight that the logo had a white boarder that made it work on a dark background or a light background. The gradient shows off both functions in one design. This is a common tool that shows the multi-functionality of a design.

I agree it often is poorly used, but it can serve a purpose, and thus is legal.
7 years ago

Logo Designer
Mimmo said:

the problem with gradient background arose when the site background changed and all of a sudden all of the gradient background logos started to blend with the color of the page

I don't get it. LT background is solid 247 247 247. How can it blend with gradient background of the entry?

I agree with Tilly, gradients add depth to the design. And they do it at very low cost. Adding a gradient bg in Corel Draw takes 2 seconds. This is the opposite to mockups which can take a lot of our time - that's why I'm glad they are banned here.
7 years ago

Logo Designer
tired
7 years ago

Logo Designer
Rest is also legal here.
7 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231