Forum

Does any one use a laptop in his design work ( not a Mackbook ) ?

Logo Designer
Hello,

I am a PC guy since forever and I was thinking that it is time to make an upgrade and to use a laptop ( but NOT a Macbook ) as I am not familiar with .

I was thinking about something like Toshiba , Lenovo , Asus … etc

A friend who works in maintenance told me that using a laptop could be a bad idea because the long hours of working that could cause a heating issue and the laptop must be connected to the power supply most of time and this also has an effect on the battery life span.

But I believe that the best recommendation / advice will come from a designer as we use the same design programs and work the same long hours in design process.

I know that an expensive 17" laptop will be great but it will be way over my budget and I am thinking of a medium configuration 15" one .

So , if some one has a personal experience , I will be thankful if he can share it with me .

Thank you for your time

Regards

* I wrote this topic under General tab as it's not quite related to contests and design issue , so I hope it is in the right section : )
8 years ago

Logo Designer
Hp Envy models laptop are good both performance and looks wise You can have a look .

I was a windows user earlier and I shifted to mac few months ago and I'm loving it .

Backup and display was my first priority with basic config.

I recommend you to get a Macbook in near future you wont regret your purchase.
8 years ago

Logo Designer
Logowagon said:
if you don't need a laptop ( you wont be traveling or moving around) stick with a desktop. A cheap desktop can out perform an expensive laptop. A desktop will last longer and is up gradable. I currently am running my laptop I7, 12gb ram, 1gb dedicated graphics and I wished I had my old i5 desktop back LOL

by the way, a desktop i5 will out perform a laptop i7. A laptop is throttled back ALOT to save juice.

+1 - convenience is nice, but it's SO easy to upgrade a desktop for a fraction of the cost it takes to upgrade a laptop.
8 years ago

Logo Designer
Just sharing, i recently bought new laptop lenovo g40-45 replacing my old laptop, it quite good for it price. But sadly it has color banding issue, cannot use it for designing while mobile..

Test and do a lot research from forum before you buy..
8 years ago

Logo Designer
I hate laptop for drawing...
with medium budget for buying laptop, you can built a new performance budget PC and add a little patience, to making bunch of wins to buy Macbook .
8 years ago

Logo Designer
I use both Laptop much more than desktop these day...but have both.
Toshiba makes good laptops for nice price. I like the desktop for the duel monitor set up and the 23" Samsung monitor....but a laptop is easier to use while watching ESPN! ;)

Now what I really want is a decent vector program for tablets!
8 years ago

Logo Designer
IMHO: for drawing vector logo in small size actually we do not need a computer with high specification. Unless we have work to create animations.
8 years ago

Logo Designer
get a desktop - a laptop only if you need mobility
8 years ago

Logo Designer
I use a Toshiba laptop. I'm so used to it now, I don't even use a mouse, just the touch pad. The one I have doesn't overheat however I do have it on charge all the time, I think it needs a new battery. It's just comfortable for me to have it on my lap.
8 years ago

Logo Designer
i picked a lenovo - cos its the only one that offered 3 year warranty
8 years ago

Logo Designer
I would like to thank each one of you for your valuable advice , I really appreciate it :)

I guess that after reading your experiences and recommendation that
cost / efficiency / practicality factors lean forward a desktop .

Logowagon said:

A cheap desktop can out perform an expensive laptop.
A desktop will last longer and is up gradable.

Also I believe that these 2 points mentioned by Logowagon were key points in this discussion.

Unless someone else has a different experience or recommendation , I will be always pleased to hear it .

Thank you so much and have a nice day :D
8 years ago

Logo Designer
if you are looking at Laptop then a 17inch for 15 if budget is concern..otherwise stick with desktop. I build my own.
8 years ago

Logo Designer
Lenovo is a good choice, if you travel, laptop with a good config is a one time investment.
I'm sure everyone must have heard about alienware from Dell, it's a monster, a bit pricey though. It's another one in my bucket list. It's a military grade machine, it will sure be useful, as we all are nearing the apocalypse and the energy war is right around the corner. You could enter contests in LT from your bunker.

I'm working towards a room like this except the chair will be replaced by a kickass barcalounger
http://i.imgur.com/VbboZgP.jpg
8 years ago

Logo Designer
I use Acer 17 inches laptop , its great
8 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231