Forum

Whats the deal with fonts (rights, payment)

Logo Designer
Ok I don't know how many of you are designers or understand the laws and rules surrounding fonts. If I buy a font and use it on a design then that doesn't give the CH rights to the font, they also have to pay for the font when displaying it. So whats the deal with this and is it enforced by the moderators?

I have noticed a few quite expensive fonts dashed around the website and I don't want CHs falling into this trap left, right and centre. Some are going for logo's with very expensive fonts, when they are very little companies.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
It's the designer's responsibility to make sure that they have a license to use a particular font. All fonts are converted to outlines when supplied to the CH, they only need to purchase a license themselves if they were to replicate that font outline in other designs.

If a client buys a design from you, they have the right to display that design without requiring a license.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I've had this same question in mind... when you look at the "terms of use" for free fonts they generally say something like "free for non-commercial use only" but ASK for commercial pricing.

I'm guessing if everyone actually did ask and paid for commercial use of the fonts - they would need more than $250 prize money!

A company I worked for paid $4000 to use New Baskerville in their logo.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
husk said:
It's the designer's responsibility to make sure that they have a license to use a particular font. All fonts are converted to outlines when supplied to the CH, they only need to purchase a license themselves if they were to replicate that font outline in other designs.

If a client buys a design from you, they have the right to display that design without requiring a license.

this is correct.
If a client asks for font, simply supply link where they may purchase. (remind them they will not need font to open /display logo files)
15 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231