Forum

q from a newbie - new name / logo combination

Client
Greetings! I have just recently got introduced to the site and the work here is truly amazing. In fact my husband has just completed a contest for his company logo and the quality of work is remarkable - it was very difficult to pick the logo but the finalist's design was terrific!

I have a small business and am now thinking of different names for it - I was originally going to just hold a logo tournament but if possible I would love to have a name / logo design combination contest. I have seen at least one contest where designers came up with name / logo combination for a product / company with truly great results and would love to hold that kind of contest. Would the designers on this site be wiling to do this again?
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Hi mathgirl,

I would bet that a lot of designers would love to participate in a contest like that again. If you're willing to spend $500 total (or more), it would probably be easier and more fair to hold one contest for the name and another contest for the design. The challenge with holding a combination contest is that one designer may come up with a great name and another with the best logo design. I don't know how people have handled this in the past, but maybe someone who has been a winner in such a contest could speak up about the experience. As it stands, there's no way to offer multiple prizes through the site for two designers in the same contest -- other than by a verbal agreement to pay.

If you do end up holding a combo contest, I think the best way to approach it is to set a certain number of days for part one (company name) and a certain number of days for part two (logo design), which would of course begin only once you've settled on a name.

In any event, a lot of the designers here will be very helpful through the process. You might also consider sending a message to the site administrators about your desire to hold such a contest. They are typically flexible with the site rules when they know up front that there is a unique case.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing your contest pop up!
14 years ago

Logo Designer
Great! The last contest like this was heaps of fun, and I think in general a lot of designers here loved having the opportunity to think above and beyond just the graphical elements of the design - but the name also! Lindsey's suggestion of having 2 separate contests (one for the name, one for the logo design) is the best way around this in my opinion. Looking forward to your contest(s) also!
14 years ago

Logo Designer
MathGirl

I participated in a naming contest and won...it was challenging..I do not see I had no issue with naming the product and coming up with a design based on the name...

https://logotournament.com/contests/need_a_product_name_and_logo_for_our_natural_mineral_water

Scott
EastCoast Creative
14 years ago

Logo Designer
And this contest as well had the same case:

https://logotournament.com/contests/art_something
14 years ago

Logo Designer
But a 100$ was rewarded for the designer who chose the winning name.
14 years ago

Client
Your suggestions are fantastic - thank you so much to everyone who responded (and even more so thank you for maintaining and participating in this amazing endevour that logoroutnament is)! I really like dazzleinteractive's suggestion to have a separate 'offline' reward for the winning name. Based on what I saw in the two examples posted above I think it makes sense to do one contest (for name/logo combination)because it feels that the designs that people came up with together for name and logo were driven by one creative vision which summed up to a really terrific outcome.
14 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231