Forum

In dog we trust

Logo Designer
https://logotournament.com/contests/urban_dog_and_sausage?page=1

Does anybody else have a problem with this, I think it is blasphemous.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Perhaps the CH is just dyslexic.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
eh? i dont get it
15 years ago

Logo Designer
In -dog- we trust. Instead of "In God we trust".
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Being an atheist, I personally don't care. From a commercial point of view it's not so clever I think. The Brandans of the world will probably skip this place.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
oh, i get it now =)
yea also being an aetheist it doesnt bother me but its not the smartest marketing move ive ever seen
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Well, as far as I know, "in god we trust" is a phrase primarily used on American currency, which, ironically, is wholly secular. So if the phrase itself is secular, then how can it be blasphemous?
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I'd imagine only those who are "passionately" religious would have a problem. It doesnt bother me, I'm agnostic.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
contrary to recent forum assertion, I am fairly religious, but I think it's more capitalizing on the notoriety of the phrase than trying to turn people to dog worship. I don't really find it offensive.

It doesn't, however, make a lot of sense with the rest of their brand imaging??
15 years ago

egg
Logo Designer
Why is this blasphemous? The church does not have a patent in such phrases and i think religious people take things too seriously some times. I am not an atheist but i sure am not bothered by this
15 years ago

egg
Logo Designer
If i where really religious i would be a LOT more offended with stuff like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6MCn8wPR1I
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Hahaha Holy Jesus Mother of God egg.design!!
p.s. im vego so i dont want dog sausage anyways ;))
15 years ago

egg
Logo Designer
Aus-Media said:
Hahaha Holy Jesus Mother of God egg.design!!
p.s. im vego so i dont want dog sausage anyways ;))

Lol yeah talk about weird target audience
15 years ago

Logo Designer
"In God We Trust" is the official motto of the United States and the U.S. state of Florida. One possible origin of "In God We Trust" is the final stanza of The Star-Spangled Banner. Written in 1814 by Francis Scott Key (and later adopted as the U.S. national anthem), the song contains an early reference to a variation of the phrase: "...And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust'. <-- From Wikipedia.
15 years ago

hmmmm.......Where can I learn more about worshiping dogs.....?

j/k
15 years ago

Logo Designer
sleightofhand said:
hmmmm.......Where can I learn more about worshiping dogs.....?
j/k

haha maybe the pound you can even take own your own god.. oops i meant dog ;)
15 years ago

egg
Logo Designer
Since when using some words from a national anthem in a fun (kinda silly) way blasphemous? This makes even less sense than the religious debate to me
15 years ago

Logo Designer
i was just watching the simpsons episode where homer goes into space and saves them all by holding the door shut with a carbon rod. it then cuts to a shot of homers hadn holding it on the cover of time magazine with the line "in rod we trust"
it made me giggle because i instantly thought of this lol
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I think it's funny. It's a play on words... and it's funny that we would trust "dog" lol.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
No issue with me..it's cool slogon
15 years ago

Logo Designer
i am atheist but even if i werent i wouldnt care. its just a clever play on words. and its not even a religious statement. its something our government came up with. so all you tight wad religous types need to calm down:)
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I'm not an atheist and I don't see what the fuss is about. *shrug*
15 years ago

Logo Designer
If its an atheistic Hot Dog spot, why not!
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Its just a take on a term, its ok.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Is it not implying that God is a dog?
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I think it's implying that hot dogs are tasty good, and you can count on their stands for providing a quick, quality lunch. I agree with the CH, however: I live in the area where his business will be, and folks here have high levels of tolerance and will see the humor in the play on words of a phrase used on currency.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Hi Brendan. OK, first of all, how do YOU know that god isn't a dog?

Second, I don't think it implies that god is a dog (or a hot dog) at all. The phrase "in god we trust" is a secular phrase. It's not from scripture. Maybe if it said, "The Lord our Dog" or "Thou shalt worship no other dogs before me" (hey, that's kind of funny!), then you might be onto something. Even still, those phrases are technically not from scripture because they are in English. I mean really, I think this is quite a stretch to say it's blasphemous. I just think it's silly.

Third, why does it matter? Does it matter to you if a person says they don't believe in god? Because there are a lot of people in the world -- good, honest, hardworking people -- who think that religion is tantamount to mythology. Would you have a problem if someone talked of Zeus or Janus in that way? Because at some point in history, people worshiped Zeus the same way that Christians and Jews worship god today. Or what if it was "in cat we trust" (not quite so punny, but analagous)? Ancient Egyptians worshiped cats. Would you have had a problem if it said "cat"?

And besides, the slogan isn't asking anyone to worship dog, they just want us to trust it. What's so wrong about that? I mean, besides the fact that hot dogs are vile.

And by the way, I trust my cats. I trust them to eat and sleep and poop and to be laying in the exact same spot in the afternoon--when I come home from running hours worth of errands--as they were before I left! :)
15 years ago

Logo Designer
all very good points lindsey =)
15 years ago

Logo Designer
It's also an unofficial phrase used by the TV show, Dog the Bounty Hunter. Maybe just a cultural difference? Most people here in the US associate that phrase with money rather than religion.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
dont even get me started on that "dog the bounty hunter"
i watched ten minutes of it once and basically just sat there with my jaw on the floor, its indescribably bad in many many ways.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
are we not suppose to be designing hahahahahaaha
15 years ago

Logo Designer
As a devout Christian, I used to be offended by this sort of thing...than I realized that our government is not trusting in God, thus making the statement on the money pretty empty. I would not do it...but thats just me. It does limit your customer base though.

I would not start a business called "Atheists are Fools" or something dumb like that. You alienate your customer base.

But if the hot dogs are good....I'd still go there...LOL!
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I think that all this hoopla about religion is a crock! What can be printed here or said there, I mean don't we have bigger things to look at? You know, like feeding the hungry and sheltering the homeless, and whatever else that is really important.

And for those who think that religion is the most important thing in the world then I suggest you do some research on how religion all started out. It's kind of a joke to me. But, whatever!!
15 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231