Forum

Print Shops / Vinyl Printers always having problems with EPS Files

Client
I'm a little disappointed after having several logos made up on this site . I've started to work with print shops either getting banners or vinyl decals made up and almost 99% of the time these shops can't work with an EPS file. Am I missing something , I figured an EPS file was a vector and an industry standard. The software that my latest shop is telling me they can't work with my EPS file is Flexisign. Has anyone else encountered this ? Is there a work around or a convertor that I can make these files able to be used.
12 years ago

Logo Designer
Hi.

I suggest you to contact those designers and ask them to give you different vector formats. And i think all those plotters and stuff want clean vectrs without any gradient or blur effects etc.

what wonders me that print shops shuld have softwares to edit vectors. why dont they use them to make it to work with their plotter soft? hm no idea. Also One thing that can be is that theres a corel EPS and Illustrator EPS. Not sure do they have some difference.

Oh also those EPS files might be saved as too new format. Usually plotters like to have older formats. EPS saved as illustrator 3 file shuld work fine. but newwer ones might have issues.

Oh found this: http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/forum/flexisign-pro-problems-with-eps-and-ai-files
12 years ago

Logo Designer
In my estimation, your logo is containing the transparent color and color gradient .. and look bad when in large export to Photoshop or other programs. if this is true, then based on my experience .. you have to ask for more logos that you get from designers who have given it. ask him to send more eps format that has been exported using Adobe Illustrator. because in my experience, the best EPS format is the result of a process of adobe illustrator.
12 years ago

Logo Designer
yes all those shiny glossy effects might be cool but usually they causes issues. And if EPS is saved as new file format its even worse
12 years ago

Logo Designer
best corel EPS is work in corel photopaint
best Adobe Illustrator EPS is work in adobe photoshop
IMO
12 years ago

Logo Designer
ee what :D
12 years ago

Client
Thanks for the input, Seems that AI files are more commonly used is what im finding.
12 years ago

Logo Designer
AI is adbe illustrator default file. And illustrator is more used than other vector software. So yes if you have a correct AI file It can be saved in illustrator perfectly in EPS format if needed, so it will fit that printshop needs. whatever EPS version they want
12 years ago

Logo Designer
eps is encapsulated postscript format...it was created to be a universal format that can be recognized anywhere...howver being a post script format eps is not suitable for editing especially with gradients and other eye candy effects.

eps is meant for direct print or placement into a document...however eps is not guaranteed to print correctly...this soley depends on the print house.

I never use eps ever!

sign companies really should be using either the ai or corel formats....if you require a universal vector format then svg or supersvg is a better choice in my opinion

Scott
12 years ago

Logo Designer
I really wish we were required to deliver SVG here than EPS. If we're going to offer ab open standard, then lets offer an open standard.
12 years ago

Logo Designer
UnUnited said:
I'm a little disappointed after having several logos made up on this site . I've started to work with print shops either getting banners or vinyl decals made up and almost 99% of the time these shops can't work with an EPS file. Am I missing something , I figured an EPS file was a vector and an industry standard. The software that my latest shop is telling me they can't work with my EPS file is Flexisign. Has anyone else encountered this ? Is there a work around or a convertor that I can make these files able to be used.

Hi UnUnited,

There are a few issues that can be causing this. One can be with the actual eps file and what program created it and how was it saved. In EPS file contains all the data needed (like a map, if you will). One slight error and the map no longer gets you to your destination. If done correctly, an EPS file works perfectly. But what happens is that the file may have mixed color spaces (both RGB and CMYK or Spot and Process) or effects written into it, that can only be read back by certain programs. The easiest fix for this is to contact the original designer and ask for the native editable file (Adobe Illustrator or Corel usually).

Now the most likely problem is with the printers themselves. Since many printers are not computer design savvy, they do not know how to manipulate the file. Most will attempt to use some proprietary software and try to do what can't be done. Keep in mind that most printers know very little about graphic design and the software we use and unfortunately most designers have little clue about printing either. I took a look at the work done for you here, and there is absolutely nothing in the designs that would indicate they can't be printed.

Keep in mind that printing produces much, MUCH higher resolutions than any monitor could ever produce. So any amount of gradients, reflections, highlights, actually reproduce far better in print than on screen. The issue is knowing what you're doing when designing and knowing what the printer will need. If you are using a particular printer, ask them what they require, then ask the designer for that particular file. Many times a client will have a designer do the logo, then ask a sign company to layout a banner. This is a problem, since the printer is not a designer. They will try to work with what they are used to using (which usually means it's very limited). When they get less than satisfactory results the "de facto" excuse is to blame the designer.

BTW- I have been a designer for most of my life and for the last 20 years also a print consultant/broker. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help.

Good luck.

Marcelo
12 years ago

Logo Designer
The issue is more than likely the result of the rip software that is used to prepare the file for print. Ask the designer to provide the file in adobe illustrator or corel. I think flexi recognizes corel. Eps is not a prefered format if gradients are used in the design. Hope that helps.
12 years ago

Logo Designer
I have have a copy of Flexisign in work and eps files can be opened in it no problem.
Also depends what the vector files contains ie gradients, masks etc. sometimes you need to do a bit of work to the file before opening in Flexisign.

Can we see an image of the artwork? I might be able to help.
12 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231