Forum

A PM I got from newbie

Logo Designer
..."I am a web designer and developer. i don´t have much idea about logo designing. if you please tell me how can i start logo designing here, it will be very helpful for me.
thank you...."

Isn´t this a TOURNAMENT site? Aren´t designers supposed to ALREADY know how to design a logo?

I´ve studied Corporate Branding at the University for 5 years and have been Corporate Branding and Corporate ID professor for the last 8 years. Should I explain all those years in one PM? hahah

this made my day! :)

Nat
15 years ago

Logo Designer
And you think he's any less qualified than some of the designers already posting logos?
15 years ago

Logo Designer
lol yea good point offbeat, not that i can talk, i'm still a student =)

i just love the fact that hes not asking for specific advice or a specific tip, its as if he wants you to teach him... well... everything..

thanks for sharing lol
15 years ago

Logo Designer
tell him you will help but the lessons cost money
15 years ago

Logo Designer
lots and lots of money
15 years ago

Logo Designer
come on gurys we've all tried that line before haven't we??
15 years ago

Logo Designer
*Guys oops (should be able to these posts)
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Just post all your advice here, I will send you the money after... I promise
15 years ago

Logo Designer
HEy I'm ready to pay....Will you teach me NAT/Scott/Wolv/Carion/All the toppers??
Dont have any formal training in desgining.
But yes can code well. Ha ha ha...

This guy really thinks his competetors will teach him...So glad of him.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Actually this site helps to improve A LOT! I mean, competition does. It makes you think more.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
True.
Cmpetetion helped me alot to improve.
I Can think ...thats what I do rather than designing.... ha ha ha.
HE thinks its so easy to reach to that perfection just like that, or taking lessons online....
naaaaa...

Also, learning to fight ... :)
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I have no training in graphic design or marketing, does it show?
15 years ago

Logo Designer
GoNorth - it doesn't show at all! Sometimes even a hundred years of training, specialization can't make you a good designer.

Don't mock the guy, be human for crying out loud! Tell him, that it is not possible to be done in a PM, and that you are his competitor and that is it. No need of posting topics and mocking him.. damn, the world is getting sicker, when people are having a laugh over this kind of simple stuff.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
oh come on artibg, where's your sense of humor at?
15 years ago

Logo Designer
I got something similar yesterday:

"Hi, I am new to this world of art, i have seen how great ur work is, and u have so many ideas.. i just wanted to know how can i be like you, i mean how can i learn to make logos like urs. I know photoshop , do you think i should learn some other sw? PLease guide me how can i start my career...."

I thought someone was just tryna be funny, but now that I've read this thread...

I'm off to PM this guy/girl back....be back in 6/7 years....
15 years ago

Logo Designer
catalyst, a friend of mine learned Illustrator in just a week or two. Now he's won seven contests. I won't tell you his name, because it is not appropriate. But... you see what I mean - years mean nothing here, creativity is the key. And that is what you should answer those people, asking you questions - be creative, learn the software, don't steal any ideas and you will be fine! There is a place for everybody here - if you are creative enought, somebody, somewhere will like your style. I have seen newbies winning contests to the "best" of the designers here. Really, experience is imprortant, but not vital! :)
15 years ago

Logo Designer
learning the software might get you by but that won't make you a good communicator.
logo design like all design is about problem solving. Believe it or not there is an academic side to graphic design and through the learning of the principals of design and communication you'll be a better designer. Whilst at college I was encouraged to read Roland Barthes and study semantics. Encouraged to learn about signs signifiers, index and icon. This was the time of a so called revolution in graphics and me and my fellow students were more interested in the work of Tomato and David Carson we didn't care for grids and such like. I now I have spent years trying to get that back as the revolution was a load of cak!!
I encourage designers to study as much about the philosophy of graphical communication because it this that will shape your ideas. For me style is the least important aspect of a designers work as the ability to render and compound concepts is what engenders a graphic style.

As for experience of course it isn't vital but I'm sitting here with toothache. My brother is pretty good with a hammer, but I think I would prefer the benefits of a dentist.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Now this is something really helpful adn a truth too, Marzy...
Thanks dear :)
15 years ago

Logo Designer
yes amateur dentistry is a strain on the health service.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day....teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.....

unless the fish aren't biting :)
15 years ago

Logo Designer
GoNorth said:
I have no training in graphic design or marketing, does it show?

all self taught all the way since 10 years ago.

same here, does it show ? * wink wink *
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Hello from Italy, I'm learning Adobe Illustrator these days, thanks everyboby.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Tell him to design his logos in Excell very good for logo design.
15 years ago

Logo Designer
Actually assuming he has talent a good place would be to go to www.lynda.com and learn how to use Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw.
15 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231