Forum

Is there such thing as an RGB printer?

Logo Designer
Is there such thing as an RGB printer? In a certain contest, the CH wants VIBRANT colors. Designers are making logos using the RGB palette. I posted a message as a reminder saying that they won't get those RGB colors in print. Another designer said they would using an RGB printer and a good paper...

If it does exist... how in the world do you get YELLOW out of RGB inks?

ssolutions.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
an rgb colour palette should only be used for the demonstration of special inks and then the design restricted to 2-3 colour for the cost restrictions of separate plates. Special paper hmmm what contest is this?
14 years ago

Logo Designer
https://logotournament.com/contests/life_call_direct

You can see that the current 1st place has the CMYK palette going and the 2nd place has RGB.

ssolutions.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
i think that dolphin press refers to digital printing. Still achieved by the cymk gamut.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
well, close to it... but I can't see the #2s colors coming through like we see on our computer screens.
14 years ago

Logo Designer
RGB is a working space - ie. monitors, digital displays etc. All designers should have an understanding of colour profiles, and their effects across different medium.

This is useful for anyone who is not sure about colour management http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=317
14 years ago

Logo Designer
I am aware of the working space... but is Dolphin Press aware? They said those colors come out on an RGB printer... is that true?
14 years ago

Logo Designer
I did have a particular printer once tell me that they used RGB color profiles for printing. It was for some backlit tradeshow graphics. They printed on film and then sandwiched those layers between clear laminate. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but that's what they told me. The blues were very vibrant...so something was definitely different.

colors out of the cmyk spectrum can still be achieved with either hexachrome printing or spot colors. Hexachrome adds purple & orange to cmyk - you achieve nearly any pantone color without having to break it down into spots.
14 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231