Forum

Why the flood of entries at the end of a contest?

Client
I've seen it stated in the FAQ and on these boards that most entries may come in the last couple of days of a contest. We're nearing the end of our first contest, and sure enough, that's what has happened. Is there a general consensus of exactly WHY this is happening? Can some designers chime in with their personal motivation based on experience? Possibilities I've come up with are:

1) Designers tend to browse the entries that are ending soon first, because they're at the top of the default sorting of the contest list (at least as I can see it from my contest holder account)

2) Designers are afraid of their ideas being copied if they post entries too soon

3) Designers prefer to make submissions at the end of a contest to shorten their design cycle for a contest, allowing them to better focus their energy (and increase their chances of winning) on a few contests at a time.

It seems like there should be some incentive for designers to get in early, so that the entry distribution is flatter over the life of the contest, and therefore easier for the contest holder to manage. Maybe there should be a way for designers to submit entries privately?
13 years ago

Logo Designer
The basic reason for it is simple, if we submit a design early on in the contest and a Contest Holder ranks it highly, this lets other designers feed off our hard work and most of the time, none of the early entries win because the later the entry, the more time you have to read the Contest Holder's comments on other designers entries.

Simple.

But yes, I think something needs to be done about it and I think making entries private so no-one but the Contest Holder can see them is one option.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
no to blind contest. if contest are blind its hard to detect clipartusers

about last minute entries. it all depends on designers, i allways enter the contest that has 0 or very view wntries.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Sometimes when you begin to design for contest from early beginning, other designers simply are copying your style... So field of solutions becomes narrow.
I like to join ending contest with 10-30 entrys, and beginning with 0.
Depends on mood :)
13 years ago

Logo Designer
some designers are enjoying a great week at the beach...they popped in and saw your contest and felt they related to it...then submitted something at the end because they just missed the entire week...everyone has an explanation on why they submit something at the end...This may or may not be one of mine...:)
13 years ago

Logo Designer
VIDI said:
some designers are enjoying a great week at the beach...they popped in and saw your contest and felt they related to it...then submitted something at the end because they just missed the entire week...everyone has an explanation on why they submit something at the end...This may or may not be one of mine...:)

very true
13 years ago

Logo Designer
@rumsoft

[quote]It seems like there should be some incentive for designers to get in early, so that the entry distribution is flatter over the life of the contest, and therefore easier for the contest holder to manage.[end quote]

Good idea - any suggestions that might appeal to all concerned (contest holder, admin, designers)...?
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Well, everybody have their own reasons, but i feel that this is what is happening:

1.- Designers that arrive early can manage a low number of contests, because this kind of designers make revisions, get feedback and work during all the contest and all that take time and effort. So maybe they can only manage 4 or 5 contests at the same time.

2.- Then, designers that arrive in the last 24 hours, usually take a look to the ranked first, second and third, read feedback and analize the CH behavior, they can see too the entries that couldnt make it, so they know what not to do.

3.- When the 1 and 2 happens, and designer 2 wins, designer 1 gets very dissapointed. As a result, designer 1 begins to act like designer 2, or maybe not, but at least designer 1 will think twice to arrive early in a contest, and will choose more carefully. The result is less designers 1 arriving in less contests, and more designers 2 waiting until last 24 hours.

My theory :)
13 years ago

Logo Designer
melisari said:
Well, everybody have their own reasons, but i feel that this is what is happening:

1.- Designers that arrive early can manage a low number of contests, because this kind of designers make revisions, get feedback and work during all the contest and all that take time and effort. So maybe they can only manage 4 or 5 contests at the same time.

2.- Then, designers that arrive in the last 24 hours, usually take a look to the ranked first, second and third, read feedback and analize the CH behavior, they can see too the entries that couldnt make it, so they know what not to do.

3.- When the 1 and 2 happens, and designer 2 wins, designer 1 gets very dissapointed. As a result, designer 1 begins to act like designer 2, or maybe not, but at least designer 1 will think twice to arrive early in a contest, and will choose more carefully. The result is less designers 1 arriving in less contests, and more designers 2 waiting until last 24 hours.

My theory :)

+100
13 years ago

Logo Designer
I am new to this site, but I usually look at the contests ending sooner first to hopefully get in to a contest before it ends. I also sometimes work better under a tight deadline sometimes.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Evee said:
... I usually look at the contests ending sooner first to hopefully get in to a contest before it ends. ...

+1
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Evee said:
I am new to this site, but I usually look at the contests ending sooner first to hopefully get in to a contest before it ends. I also sometimes work better under a tight deadline sometimes.

hm i dont dare to enter contest that ends soon, because ch has made his mind already. i want to be first who enters
13 years ago

Logo Designer
It is a matter of personal choice, I enter late simply because I don't want to spend unnecessary time protecting ideas from the get-go.

P.S. I thought that the designer discussion page was to the designers only? How did a client posted here?
13 years ago

Logo Designer
there was another thread that showed a large % of early entries DO win or an iteration of them.

i still vote for a top 10 ranking without showing #1 #2 #3 etc... it will show preferred direction but not the favorite so harder for copy cats to figure it out. a compromise.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
Mint said:
It is a matter of personal choice, I enter late simply because I don't want to spend unnecessary time protecting ideas from the get-go.

P.S. I thought that the designer discussion page was to the designers only? How did a client posted here?

Someone moved it from the general discussion page.
13 years ago

Logo Designer
mgal said:
Mint said:

Someone moved it from the general discussion page.

it was the wind of change
13 years ago

LogoTournament Staff
For some reason this thread was moved. I have deleted a few irrelevant comments so it might continue here.
13 years ago
Login
Home Start on your logo Contests Portfolio Designers Help Contact Us
Forum About Us
1-800-300-3231